The Day My Youngest Came Into This World

Thursday
Hospital Round Two | Day 04

I've been thinking a lot about the day Oliver was born. Here's the short story (and the best video ever if you are into that thing - it's not weird or graphic, I promise).



I have three boys. Oliver, is my youngest. When I went to the hospital in labor with Oliver, the triage nurse told me I was a 3. UGH. But, they would keep me. I had two other births, both born within two hours of being in the hospital (please don't hate me for this, I did labor a lot at home, I promise). So, when I heard that I was a 3, I had plans on walking the hallways for hours upon hours. I was in for a long night. I got checked in to my room and the on-call doctor came in to check me. I was a 10, she wanted to break my water. I knew from past experience, once she breaks my water, that baby is coming out. What the heck? I was just planning for a long night of strolling the hallways in my beautiful hospital gown. I panicked and just gave her this big eye look of shock. She asked if she should come back, I said YES!

I think this has been on my mind a lot, because, leukemia was so different. My doctor didn't really care about my big eye look of shock, there wasn't time for more than 3 minutes of discussing my options which basically were bone marrow biopsy in the office or bone marrow biopsy in the hospital. There was no time to just tell everyone to come back in a week or month. Things started happening so fast.

It all still feels like it's moving so fast. But, at the same time, it feels like it's moving so slow. I can't decide if I want time to speed up or slow down. Dear Time, Let's make the bad days and the hospital days go by in a blink. Everything else, please slow down. If you could, I would appreciate it.

The plan is still to check-out of the hospital on Saturday and be home for all my numbers to bottom out. I need to be careful about infections and fevers. After that, once my numbers go back up, I'll be back here for another week of this same treatment (high dose of cytarabine 12 hours apart, twice a day, 3 days a week). That will be in three or four weeks. I really need it to be in three. Four weeks = fall break for my kids = Thanksgiving I can't be in the hospital that week. My numbers MUST go up within 3 weeks.

My numbers are good today.

Hemoglobin = 10.7 (needs to stay above 8 for no blood transfusions)

Platelets = 102 (needs to stay above 15 for no platelet transfusions)

Neutrophils = 6.72 or 6720 (needs to stay above 1 or 1000 so I can eat salads and people don't have to wear masks)

Oh, and Oliver did come into this world within two hours of being checked into the hospital, healthy and beautiful and fat!

Oliver Thomas born 01.19.2010


Will update again soon.
Love & Light.
😷😘 michelle

Comments

Popular Posts