More Transfusions

Sunday
Day 21 of 2nd consolidation chemo

Me and Zach shortly after being admitted back to room 408 on Friday. This is probably the most sitting I did. I look better than I feel, that's for sure. It was a rough weekend.
Went in for my CBC on Friday and well, surprise surprise low hemoglobin and platelets. Doctor called in to admit me for transfusions and overnight observation.

Well, one night turned to two. More platelets and more blood on Saturday too. 

But, increased numbers (23 platelets and 8.1 hemoglobin) mean I'm back at home today.

The blood and platelets were slow this time around. There seemed to be a lot of communication breakdowns too. But, we got it done. I guess that's all that matters. 

Friday, my appointment was at 1:40pm. The oncology office set up an admission with the hospital and I was checked in back to my old room by 4:30pm. I guess the platelets that were ordered was incorrect, I need irradiated so the hospitalist needed to cancel and reorder. Unfortunately this didn't get caught until 8:00pm. I was hoping to get platelets ASAP since, well...

***TMI warning*** 

I started my period and I was losing A LOT of blood. Like a ridiculous amount. Ultra tampons plus those ridiculous maternity hospital pads they give you every 20 minutes.

*** sorry guys ***

By 10pm I was starting to feel really weak. I would get light headed and dizzy when I stood up. Nothing too crazy or alarming, but it wasn't fun. I wasn't feeling all that great that entire day actually. Finally around 10:30pm, I started getting blood. This definitely helped the energy level a little, but not so much the bleeding. Got another unit of blood around 1am, platelets at 2:30am and 3:30am. So, needless to say, I didn't sleep much.

Saturday morning labs didn't show an improvement so more blood, more platelets. I got blood around 11am and then platelets around 2pm. And then we were just waiting for more or something. You would think I would remember, it was literally just yesterday. But anyway. Most of the day Saturday I remember being tired and watching a lot of cheesy Christmas movies. For some reason I had more platelets and blood coming to me during the night shift, don't remember the reason for the hold up.

They started transfusing the platelets before 10pm. I was EXHAUSTED. Barely any sleep last night and not eating much all day, I'm sure were the reason. I was totally fine during the transfusion and even immediately after. The nurse started one unit of blood and right before she started I could feel the same effects I had from previous platelets transfusions. I was hoping it would just pass. Two minutes later (around 10:30) I was messaging Zach, just the word, shaking, because I could barely type. I was just glad that autocorrect worked ok. He was there by 11. Fever. Shaking. High heart rate. I asked the nurse for 25mg of IV Benadryl. That helped the last time. After I felt a little better, they restarted the blood with more Benadryl. Zach watched me until about 1:30am when the blood was done, fever was gone, I was good. He's always there for me when I need him. No matter what. He only got about 4 hours of sleep and had to be up and on for the boys big church gig. I'll link up to that later in the week when it's up. But, basically, Zach is the best. Seriously!


Will update again soon.
Love & Light.
😷😘 michelle

Comments

Popular Posts