Whole 30 - Yeah, we're doing that now...

Whole 30 week 1 recap:

Yes, we're doing Whole 30. Started on Monday (can't start on Easter, come on now). I call it Pinterest Whole 30, because I haven't actually read the book. I have it, but haven't read it. I've checked out the website. I generally know what to eat and what not to eat, but I didn't read the book. So I'm calling it Pinterest Whole 30. I'm basically only eating meat, veggies, fruit, and nuts (minus peanuts) with spices and seasonings. I'm probably going to steer clear from pre-packaged foods but if I do, I'll just verify no sugar, gluten, dairy, soy, etc... For example, I might have an Rx bar or Lara bar once in awhile. And if I want a smoothie, I'm going to have one. Even though, I think smoothies are anti-whole30. You have to chew your food or something, right?

I'm going to do everything I can to avoid any eating out. That means no eating out with my family and no eating out with friends. I just think it will be easier that way. Plus, I just don't think I have the will power to pay $15 for a dinner that I have to say, "I guess just bring me a burger with nothing but lettuce and tomato and no fries just a side salad, but basically make that a bowl of dry lettuce". I'm sure there are ways to eat out whole 30, I just don't want to try and figure it out. Easier and cheaper to eat at home. It's only 30 days after all.

Zach says he's going to try and be 90% Whole 30.

The kids are doing Whole 30-ish. I don't cook anything else for them. They eat what we eat. But, they make their own breakfast and lunch (and sometimes they eat school breakfast and lunch) and if its in the house, they can have it.

--- So, today's Thursday, day 4. It's going. ---

I now drink coffee with no sweetener. YUM. (insert sarcasm) Ok, it's not undrinkable, obviously, otherwise I would just go without. What? Without coffee. 😭

Sugar. Just give me sugar. I knew this would be the issue. I'm not a crazy candy person, but I do like me some sugar. Sweets before bed (even though, they are probably the cause of me not getting to sleep. This is what happens when you hit your mid-30's. UGH. Enjoy your 20's ladies. Eat all the things.)

And the WINE. UGH. Where is the wine? I want wine. Just one sip, pretty please. OK, a glass. One of those really giant bottle glasses. (insert sigh)

OK, for real. So far the food has been good. I've enjoyed cooking again. I always like cooking, I just hate planning and shopping and cleaning up. So, things like Whole 30 are good for me. It gives me less to be overwhelmed with when looking for recipes.

First dinner. Buffalo Chicken, Bacon & Ranch Skillet This was a huge hit. I'm going to make this again for sure, but double the recipe. Everyone loved it!


Monday morning I spent a couple hours chopping, peeling and roasting some white potatoes, sweet potatoes, green beans, and brussels, I've been able to eat off of that all week. 

A salad using my roasted veggies and some grilled chicken. I also made this Citrus Vinaigrette with Thyme.


Easy breakfast. Heat up roasted veggies, add over easy egg, add avocado, add shredded beets.


Tuesdays dinner I insta-storied but forgot to get a picture of it. Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday evenings we have sports practice, so it makes for a hectic house. Tuesday and Thursday, I usually feed at least the kid that needs to head to practice early, like 4:30 dinner early. And Fridays, practice is over at 6, so I have something ready or something in the crockpot so we can all eat dinner together. I made this Almond & Herb Crusted Baked Salmon and instead of asparagus I roasted green beans. The boys loved it. I remember when the oldest would not even touch salmon. I'll probably make it again, so I'll try and get a picture of it next time. It's a perfect meal for sports nights because it's quick and easy! Definitely an under 30 meal.




Same breakfast, just add grapefruit. Oh, and a smoothie. Zach makes me green smoothies with collagen before he goes to work. YUM.
Last nights dinner was so good. Mango Chicken. Another double up the recipe when I make it again. The boys devoured it. I made them rice, which I guess just at the top of this post I said I wouldn't make them anything different, but well.... I did. Rice is easy and we have A LOT of it. So, they got rice instead of the riced cauliflower. I didn't make the cauliflower like the recipe, I just threw it on the pan with brussels and roasted. I love roasted brussels. Just sayin'. 

Same breakfast. I'm out of my roasted veggies now, so I'll have to make another batch. I don't really get sick of this to be honest. It's simple and tasty. This morning, my eyes were bigger than my stomach and I had to leave the easter egg for later. I've been drinking my coffee with unsweetened coconut milk or almond milk. It's fine. I want to try Nut Pods. I hear they are yum.


--- It's Monday morning, day 08. Still going strong. ---

Our Thursday night 4:30pm dinner included these veggie loaded meatballs, marinara sauce, and zoodles spiralized by Oliver. Again, everyone ate it up with very little complaining. I thought the meal was missing something, sugar probably. But, overall it was good. I roasted the zoodles in a bit of olive oil for 10 minutes and maybe I would try longer or add in some seasonings. Might need to start looking for a good zoodle recipe.



I need to get to the store. Breakfast was simple today. Hard boiled egg and grapefruit. Need to get to the store and roast up some more veggies.


Snackin'




Crockpot dinner. Fridays Oliver has soccer practice from 5-6 so we usually eat when we get home but I like dinner to be done. Crockpot dinners are perfect for this! Everyone in the house loves a good chili. I usually make this paleo chili which would have been Whole 30 approved, but I wanted to try something new so I made this Sweet Potato Chili and added zucchini, celery, carrots and garlic to it.


Saturday morning all our sport games got cancelled so I had time to cook breakfast and run some errands. This morning was plantains, sausage, some fruit and brussels. 


The chili made for good leftovers. Salad greens topped with chili and a fried egg.


Yesterday we did brunch at my brother-in-laws for my mother-in-laws birthday. I was glad we did brunch in, because then I could cook up a few things to take rather than try and find something to eat off a menu. I made a zero point weight watchers egg bake because she's on weight watchers. It was pretty good. I also made a bacon, apple, sweet potato hash that was really tasty and super simple, just add cinnamon and sage.

So, oversell the week went well. I still want something sweet at the end of the day and could definitely go for a glass of wine. This isn't everything I ate over the last week, but a good idea of what I did eat. Weekend dinners were just salads and/or leftovers for the family. I definitely think Whole 30 will save us some bucks on our grocery budget and definitely our eating out budget (or at least for me, Zach still goes out occasionally). Physically I would say I don't feel a whole lot different. I'm not sleeping any different. It's not keeping the blues/anxiety completely away. But, I do feel like my stomach is slightly flatter (from my worst days), but I don't think I've lost any weight. My jeans fit a little better than they did on my worst days but not better than my normal days. But, we'll keep going. Only 22 days to go.



Will update again soon.
Love & Light.
😷😘 michelle

Comments

Popular Posts